Thursday, January 17, 2008

Remembering My E3

Now that I'm back into the groove of work, I thought I should revisit the three quotes by Epictetus that are my touchstones for 2008.

"Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants."
I work on this one every day. I've been cleaning out more cupboards and realizing I have way too much stuff. Isn't it funny how the things you thought you needed have been in a dark corner collecting dust? Getting rid of those things is so liberating. It keeps me looking forward to the possibilities instead of the what was.

"We are disturbed not by events, but by the views which we take of them."
I have found that if I am in a situation that is causing me distress, it helps tremendously to just pretend I am watching the situation instead of being part of the situation. I also tell myself that the only person I can control is Amy. People storm through life taking out everyone in their paths. Sometimes we just need to step out of the way.

"The key is to keep company only with people who uplift you, whose presence calls forth your best."
The presence of students really calls forth my best. The beginning of each semester reminds me of the effect my actions have on others. I do not know what each student will remember, so I need to make every action, every word, be one I would like remembered. A few former students were at my house a week ago and filled me in on how they viewed me. It was so enlightening to hear. It was also gratifying to hear that they appreciated my perkiness at 7:00 am and that they learned something. Everyone should get to hear how they have influenced others.

Next week I am starting on a new adventure with the Iowa Association of School Boards. My term as a new member of the IASB Board of Directors officially starts Monday. Tuesday I will be meeting with legislators to discuss education in Iowa and help them understand the challenges our districts face. I hope my presence uplifts others during this process and that I can have a part, no matter how small, in improving education.

I am also reminded of the people who I work with on school issues. Since 1999, I have had the honor to serve on the GLR board. I think I have received so much in return for my hours of service. So many people have taught me and influenced me, mentored and challenged me. Those people have called forth my best. I hope I don't let any of them down.

No comments: